Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Kliewer: "Citizenship in Schol: Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome"

After doing this reading by Kliewer, I would like to talk about a quote that can be found at the very beginning:


"I started to notice that I didn't like the classes I was taking called special education. I had to go through special ed. almost all my life. I wanted to take other classes that interested me. I had never felt so mad, I wanted to cry." 

These are the words of a student named Mia Peterson, who has Down Syndrome. She then talks about how she was actually denied the ability to take the classes she wanted to, such as journalism. She had to go through a separate program because she had Down Syndrome.

Honestly, I did not even know that people with this condition could be denied when it came to taking certain classes. I mean, I know they have to go through certain special education classes, but why deny them access to the classes they would actually like to take?

I see no problem with them being allowed to chose whatever classes. Just because they have Down Syndrome does not mean they are unable to learn.They should be treated equally, despite their ability. They should not be doubted or held back from anything. They are still intelligent people. Here is a quick story for you guys:

     -When I was in first grade, we had peers called "Reading Buddies". Reading Buddies were kids from 6th grade classes, and each first grader was assigned one. They would come in our room once a week and just read children's books with you. They would help you read and sound out word if you needed help. My Reading Buddy was named Danny.

Danny had Down Syndrome.

And even though we were only reading short childrens books such as "Spot", he still did a good job with me. Sometimes, he would have a teacher come over with us and help both of us out. But I did not care. I thought it was good they still allowed him to have a reading buddy. And I also thought it was good the teacher would come over to our group and help us both because they did that for no one else.

People suffering from this condition are no less of people than you and I are. They are such funny, caring, fun loving, happy people.



No comments:

Post a Comment